Saturday, March 15, 2008
Sakae Sushi (Teatime Buffet)
Sakae Sushi: Teatime Buffet - 3.00pm - 6.00pm
Location: Century Square
Cost: $13.90++ (For Youth: 13 - 21 years old)

Daph and I finally managed to meet up on a weekday admist our busy schedules to enjoy Sakae's Teatime Buffet. I had two slices of wholemeal bread with strawberry jam (my breakfast) and a packet of Meiji's Chocolate Hello Panda (after I had 3 classes straight without a break in between) before I rushed off to meet her for the buffet. And she have had two Char Siew Baos. This means that we would be able to clear at least 20 plates easily.

Picking up sushi from the conveyor belt:

We were so excited as we had been looking forward to it for ages. Although it wasn't my virgin visit, I got high just thinking about the amount of Fried Hotate and Fried Tofu I could consume. So here's my favourite Fried Hotate: With a breaded crispy layer, topped with some mayonnnaise:

Fried Tofu: I love how thin the skin is, and I was surprised that it was slightly crispy as well. Upon biting into it, the super-soft tofu gushes out immediately and it melts in the mouth instantly.

Our all-time favourite sushi: Chuka Hotate, and I quite appreciated the generous filling:


An assortment: Chuka Hotate, Ebi Sushi, Salmon Sushi and the not-very-tasty Daikon Chips:


And here's a close-up of the weird-tasting Daikon Chips. It was fried really oily, and I didn't like how it greased my fingers. I expected this side dish to be the crispy or crunchy type, but it was rather chewy instead.

The smooth Sakae Chawanmushi: Not the best Chawanmushi I've eaten, but it's passable though:

Fried Salmon slices: This was only okay. nothing spectacular at all and we had a hard time trying to finish this plate as there were many slices and we got a little sick of the taste:

Here's a beautiful shot of Daph with her Ebi Tempura Temaki:

And this is what I had: Mango Avocado Temaki. I didn't really like this because the avocado was too mashed up and it was dumped on top of the lettuce, and then finally topped off with one teeny-weeny-sliced mango piece. The whole combination tasted too weird and mushy for my liking:

Halfway through, but we still continued eating slowly, by ordering more side dishes.

The Okonomiyaki: The batter is made of flour, grated yam, water or dashi, eggs and shredded cabbage, and usually contains other ingredients such as green onion, meat (generally pork or bacon), octopus, squid, shrimp, vegetables, kimchi, mochi or cheese. To me, this tasted similar like the Tako Yaki Balls (see below). It has exactly that kind of chewy texture and I liked eating it warm.

And these are the Tako Yaki Balls with octopus, dabbed with mayonnaise:


I usually liked this Kani Tempura from Sakae Sushi, but I had no idea why this was exceptionally oily that day and the skin did not taste light enough:


Here's an assortment of the different side orders we had: Tako Yaki Balls, Kani Tempura, Fried Hotate, and also the Gyoza that I had enjoyed very much.


This Kizami Unagi sushi was our very first plate and I thought it tasted really yummy. But I was skeptical about the tough seaweed though.

Well, I had not managed to take every single shot of what we had consumed but you get the general idea! :) And at 6.00pm, we were shocked to find out that we had cleared 38 plates in total. Here's a peek:

Oh yes, I felt awfully fat and bloated after that but it was a really nice meal and it was a good time to catch up with my best friend. Therefore, we started to cam-whore to distract ourselves from feeling so stuffed up:

And we made a pact to visit Kuishin-Bo for their buffet together. I can't wait. Hehe.

posted by An Economist Baker at 2:10 PM -
6 Comments:
  • At March 17, 2008 at 11:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    38 plates!!!!

    you two have humongous appettites and rocket high metabolism! O_O

    ahhaa i like the kani tempura too, it goes really well with japanese mayo!! plus the fried tofu~ so light and yumyum~

     
  • At March 18, 2008 at 12:00 AM, Blogger eh said…

    yes! go kushinbo bimbo.
    i think sakae isn't that fantastic already after i've tried a couple of other better standards jap restaurants.

    anyway your exams coming soon yah, meet up after that okay:)

     
  • At March 19, 2008 at 12:06 AM, Blogger daph said…

    aiyo! why u post the unflattering solo pic of me up! i thought ur blog is a no-face photos blog alr. haha.

    yes yes kushinbo soooooon! =)

     
  • At March 19, 2008 at 3:16 PM, Blogger An Economist Baker said…

    jiaying: you had no idea how stuffed and fat i felt after that! and yeah, i love how soft the tofu is!

    bimbo: let's visit kuishin-bo together okay! sakae is considered okay only for their prices but of course the standard of their foods can't be compared to other japanese restaurants.

    daph: i'm like counting down the days to kuishin-bo you know? and i really wanted to make this blog a no-faces blog initially, you know like the ou de yang gimmick. haha! but nah, i don't want to be that anonymous afterall. and that photo of yours was very nice what! :)

     
  • At March 19, 2008 at 7:10 PM, Blogger JOjo said…

    38 plates! U girls can really eat~ *faintz*

    Kushin-bo is pretty nice but is quite ex...The last time i tried was 40+ after tax, but tat was during dinner time.
    standard dropped but stil many will go for their snow crab.

     
  • At March 21, 2008 at 1:02 PM, Blogger An Economist Baker said…

    jojo: yeah, it's more pricey but i've heard alot of positive comments about it! especially their slipper lobsters and snow crabs!

     
Post a Comment
About Me
Name: An Economist Baker
About Me: I'm a full-time Economics undergraduate and an avid baker who bakes as and when I feel like it. It is my dream to integrate these two important aspects of my life together, and I hope to have my own bakery cafe in the future.
See my profile...

Previous Posts
Archives
Daily Feeds
Local Feeds
Asian Feeds
International Feeds
Inspirational Feeds